Sunday, June 22, 2014

Serving Jesus By Loving People - Ethiopia Bound

FRIDAY - DAY 1 - WASHINGTON DC

It's 1:15 AM and by all accounts I should be sound asleep. I am exhausted. The past week has been a whirlwind of activity to get us to this point; team meetings, suitcase packing and repacking, traveling with the kids to go to Gramom's house, and trying to also take care of the day to day things. I told myself that if I could just make it to  my bed at the hotel in Washington DC tonight that I would fall fast asleep and be recharged for the flight to Ethiopia tomorrow.

But, I sit here thinking about what just happened at the airport and have a smile on my face and a joy in my heart. You see, I was getting irritated having to wait so long on our bags to come through baggage claim and just wanted to GO! When they finally got 11 of the 22 bags loaded up on the cart, the man who was helping my group to the hotel shuttle space started walking so I began making small talk by asking where he was from. I already knew he was going to say Ethiopia because they all have a certain beautiful look, but when he said "Korah" and I said "oh yeah, I've been there. I love going", you should have seen his eyes! They lit up and got huge. He was floored!

Most people have never heard of Korah. And I'm even referring to people who live in Addis Ababa. People who live only a few miles away from Korah have never heard of it because it is an area of forgotten people. They are the outcasts of society because of leprosy, HIV, TB, or some other unfortunate reasons. But, I believe they are the people are the first chosen by Jesus. 

The more we talked, the more we found out about each other. He knows our friends Temesgen and Pastor Tesfaye! Temesgen and him are connected through a boarding school in Shashamene together and he recognized David from when he was there several years ago painting the school. We chatted about people that we both knew and he told me that he got to come to the US on a 2 year work visa. He has been here for 1 year. I asked him if his family still lived in Ethiopia and he responded "yes, they still are living right by the front of the dump." 

I couldn't stop there. I told him that I was going to be visiting Korah several times over the next 10 days and that I would be sure to ask Tesfaye if he knew where his family was and if he could lead us to them. And then...I did something I NEVER do. I told him to lean on in and we made a SELFIE!!! hahaha!!! I'm going to proudly show off my new friend's photo and try to see where his family lives. I would love to be able to just bless their socks right off of them :) I certainly don't think it was an accident that we were put into each other's path for nothing tonight.

Follow along over the course of the next 10 days as I journal our trip to and through Ethiopia. God is moving already and I cannot wait to see what he has in store for Ethiopia 2014 - Serving Jesus by Loving People.




2 comments: