Monday, March 24, 2014

BELIEVE. Just believe.

Believe. It sounds simple, right? I believe a lot of things. I believe that I am healthy. I believe that the sun will come up tomorrow. I believe that my husband will have a job to go to tomorrow. I believe that God loves me. I believe that I have an addiction to reality TV and Chick-fil-A diet lemonade. You get my point.

However, when it comes to something that is really hard to believe, that is a different story. Like, when you have to believe for something that you desperately need, it suddenly becomes difficult. Almost impossible. And that is where I found myself last Sunday afternoon.

I was getting the house ready to host our small group. While mopping the kitchen floor my mind was all over the place with what I had left to do with our adoption home study. The main thing was sending our new adoption agency our application and the $700 app fee with it. We had decided on this new agency a few weeks ago but sending the fee was something that I just could not do. It was a mixture of fear of trusting again,  and the fear of using the last of the money in our adoption account to pay this app fee. I was going to be wiping out the account with this $700 check. Eeek! And we still had to pay the rest of the home study fee.

I started going over what we had already paid by using our fundraiser money. Trying to praise the Lord and remember all that He had already provided. We had already been able to pay:
$1250 - 1/2 home study fee
$300 - first adoption agency app fee
$200 - adoption online courses required by home study and new agency
$80 - fingerprinting fees
$700 - remained in acct for new agency home study fee

After this time of remembering, I looked down at the Believe band on my wrist that we are selling for our fundraiser and instantly the Scripture that came to mind was this from Mark 9:24 - The father instantly cried out, "I do believe, but help me overcome my unbelief!"
I prayed this over and over for the next several minutes and then I wrote that check to Children's House International and placed it, along with the application in the envelope and got it ready to send out the next day. 

I won't lie and say that I didn't have a bit of a rapid heartbeat after that was done, but I boldly prayed for God to bless our fundraising efforts and to provide the funds for us because we were going to very very quickly need another $1000 for the rest of the home study, and $3000 to send to our agency as a deposit on our contract. And then after that another $4500.  I kept praying for God's favor in our fundraising until our group started rolling in and then I felt an overwhelming peace. OVERWHELMING!

That night, out of the blue, a couple who was in our group for several years happened to stop over to say goodbye as they were moving to Wisconsin. They handed me a ziploc bag with a note in it and told me to just read it later. I didn't think another thing about it until I was putting the kids to bed that night. I opened it up and nearly cried the ugly cry. Inside the note was a check for $600! What?!? Prayer answered in 2 hours! Then 2 days later, a friend mailed us a check for $100. That completely replaced what I wrote the application fee check for. And then, we randomly entered a grant contest through Ordinary Hero (the group we travel to Ethiopia with). Although we didn't win the big grant (we came in second place), we did earn a $100 grant and 40% of our sales which brought our big total to another $600. 

In one week, just 7 days, God saw to it that we got $1300 for our adoption. Nearly double what was in our account last Sunday when I originally was doubting. Friends, God answers prayers. He knows exactly what we need so I encourage you to let go of the doubt and unbelief. Pray bold prayers. Anything less is insulting. He is God after all! Let Him be God and he will accomplish way more than we could ever even think to ask!! (Ephesians 3:20)


1 comment: