Sunday, August 11, 2013

Taken Back


Breathe on me, breath of God, breathe on me
Breathe on me, breath of God, breathe on me
I come alive, I'm alive when you breathe on me
I come alive, I'm alive when you breathe on me

Awake, awake, awake my soul,
God resurrect these bones
From death to life, for you alone
Awake my soul

Speak to me, word of God, speak to me
Speak to me, word of God, speak to me
I come alive, I'm alive when you speak to me
I come alive, I'm alive when you speak to me

Today at church we sang this song and in my mind I was back in Ethiopia. I was back on those beautiful muddy, people lined roads. I could see those precious street children begging for food and money but mostly wanting someone to pay attention to them and give them more than a quick awkward glance. I could see the mothers with their babies on their backs looking tired and weary from a long, hard day...and life. I could see my friends on Entoto Mountain looking for food, needing healing, medicine, and most importantly the Gospel of Jesus brought to them. I could see the orphans I had the privilege to hold and love on and wondered if they were sick, happy, getting other visitors, etc... I feel so helpless here. I just want to be there. Hands on. I want to play with those children. I want to paint their nails, laugh aloud with them, hold hands with and hug their precious moms. I want to invest in them, take the time to listen to their stories, share in their pain and show them that I do care and that God does too. But, this is where my faith and prayers HAVE to be enough because that is all I can offer in this very moment.  

Once you have been to a third world country as severe as Ethiopia and seen the things I have seen, it never leaves you. Half of my heart is still there and as I sing the words "awake awake awake my soul, God resurrect these bones..." I can't help but ask God to always keep my heart and soul awake for Ethiopia, their needs, and how I can be His instrument of love there. Because truly, just as the song says, I come alive when I am there, and I feel like He breathes new life into me when I am there. Counting down the days until June 21st when we go back again. Until then, God has opened the door for me to start a child sponsorship program for Entoto Mountain children. I will give the details later...hopefully in the next week or two!!! In the meantime, start praying about committing to sponsoring one of the children that I met and truly are starving. The cost is $30/month and will provide them with food every single day. OK, more details later though. 









No comments:

Post a Comment