Sunday, November 11, 2012

Pathology Surprises

Sorry I am just now updating with the results from my thyroid removal. Life has become full speed ahead since the healing has kicked in and I have been busy busy busy. So, with that being said, here is what I found out at my post-op appointment with my thyroid surgeon.
NO CANCER!!!! Woo-Hoo. I never really thought there would be given how much chemotherapy I have had coursing through my veins for the past 3 years, however, there was always that little "what if" in the very very back of my mind. I also found out something very interesting...I have Hashimoto's Thyroiditis (HT for the rest of this post), and apparently have had it for quite some time as my thyroid had actually begun to disintegrate.

Let me back up for a minute though. For years, and I mean years, I have been telling my primary doctors that something is not right with my thyroid. I have 9 out of 10 hypothyroid symptoms that are listed on every medical website you can imagine, yet because my labs were always borderline normal they always chose not to treat me. Now don't get me wrong, I understand in this day and age that most doctors go strictly by what the paperwork tell them and for decent reason...our society has become sue-happy. However, I did ask my primary doctor one time why she was choosing to treat the paperwork and not the patient. She then referred me out to endocrinology who blamed all of my symptoms on my cancer. But my oncologist blamed it all on my thyroid. UGH!!! So frustrating for YEARS!!! Thankfully though, God placed me in the path of an amazing thyroid surgeon in Nashville who knew something was wrong immediately. He was amazing, thoughtful, brilliant, compassionate, and most importantly let me be in charge of the decisions made...until he was not comfortable with me keeping my thyroid in anymore (yeah, I put it off for a year because I didn't want to jump the gun on anything).

Anyways, so here I am present day and have researched a lot about this autoimmune disease and have made the following discoveries:
1. even though the thyroid is gone, I will always have this autoimmune problem
2. dietary change is NECESSARY
3. without the change in the diet, I will continue to have symptoms of hypothyroid or even hyperthyroid because my medication acts exactly like the thyroid does and that will result in dosage changes frequently without ever really fixing the issue
4. this autoimmune disease is related to estrogen dominance...so was my breast cancer - I have some questions for my oncologist when I see her on the 20th of this month.

Now, for the dietary changes, it's pretty drastic...but I'm willing and able to do this. Basically, it's no flour, no refined sugars, no cauliflower, kale or spinach (bummer because I make my smoothies with kale and spinach).
So what am I eating? Well, lots of broccoli, salads, chicken, little bit of red meat, egg beaters and cheese sticks. I can have fruit but for the first 30 days I am restricting it because of all of the sugars that are in fruit. I just want to kind of reset my body before I start adding any back.
How am I feeling? BETTER THAN I HAVE IN YEARS!!!! No kidding. I have spunk. I feel feisty. I'm happy. I'm joking around again. I am wanting to go and do and be with my friends. I'm feeling like the Kelly I was 5 years ago. No joke! It's amazing how much this surgery has changed my life. I've even started making lists again and checking off every task accomplished. Heck, last week I did 8 loads of laundry, deep cleaned the kitchen and bathrooms, switched out summer to winter clothes in both kids' closets, rearranged Chloe's room, washed baseboards throughout the upstairs, and managed to cook dinner 3 nights. Oh, I also took Chloe to cheerleading practice, tumbling, and went to her soccer game. I got some Christmas shopping done, helped in Chloe's class at school twice, went to a PTO planning meeting, took Brody to an appointment, took both kids to Nashville for the day and then to a movie, etc...  There are some things on this list that I do every week, but believe me when I say they would drain me of every ounce of energy that I had and I wouldn't be able to do the other things on this list.

So that's the update...sorry it was a bit wordy. I just am so thrilled with the difference that this has made in my life. To God be the glory great things He has done!!!

1 comment: