Sunday, March 4, 2012

Jealousy - The Sin That Can Creep In

We started a new sermon series at church today called "Sin City." Awesome props, amazing music and time of worship, and a very thought provoking message. The topic today was jealousy. Now I honestly was thinking "oh, I'm good" (wonder if next week's will be pride) when he announced that. However, I thankfully didn't check out because God really spoke to me.
The passages read were from the gospel of John and referred to Peter and John's relationship. How John always refers to himself as "the one who Jesus loved." How John made it a point to tell us that on Easter Sunday he made it to the tomb before Peter did (I can totally see the race in my mind). How when they were on the boat fishing and John noticed that Jesus was on the shore, Peter just had to get to him first so he jumped in and started swimming to shore. And how John was eavesdropping in on a personal conversation between Peter and Jesus - possibly seeing if his name was going to come up. I can just picture these two grown men acting like boys trying to get Jesus to like one more than the other. Trying to impress Jesus by all means. Jealousy ensued.

As I sat listening to this, I thought about how deep down I really am jealous of women who have had successful reconstructions. I am jealous of women who get implants just so they can be more busty, and I am jealous of women who have anything at all in the boob department. I still get annoyed at times when super busty women complain that they wish they didn't have boobs, or when smaller chested women complain that they don't have enough. I also find myself jealous of women who can just think about losing 5 pounds and then end up losing 25 in a matter of a few weeks. On the other hand, I adapt a Paleo lifestyle for just over a month now eating essentially nothing but meat, veggies and fruit, and I have only lost 8 pounds. It makes me want to eat a whole birthday cake when I stop to think about it, but I do feel better since I am feeding my body healthy things. So I skip the sudden urges brought on by my frustration with the scale and keep plugging along. Clearly my jealousy issues are all about physical attributes. I have just never felt as though I measured up and always am comparing myself to others.

But then, right as God is dealing with my heart this morning through the message, the worship team comes back on stage and leads us in "He Loves Us." The song goes like this:

He is jealous for me 
Loves like a hurricane 
I am a tree 
Bending beneath the weight of his wind and mercy 
When all of a sudden I am unaware of these afflictions eclipsed by Glory 
And I realize just how beautiful you are and how great your affections are for me 

Oh how he loves us, so 
Oh How he loves us, how he loves us so 

He is jealous for me 
Loves like a hurricane 
I am a tree 
Bending beneath the weight of his wind and mercy 
When all of a sudden I am unaware of these afflictions eclipsed by Glory 
And I realize just how beautiful you are and how great your affections are for me 

And oh, how he loves us so, 
Oh how he loves us, how he loves us so 

Yeah he loves us 
Oh how he loves us 
Oh how he loves us 
Oh how he loves 


We are his portion and he is our prize 
Drawn to redemption by the grace in his eyes 
If grace is an ocean we’re all sinking 
So, heaven meets earth like an unforeseen kiss 
And my heart turns violently inside of my chest 
I don’t have time to maintain these regrets when I think about the way

He loves us 
Oh how he loves us 
Oh how he loves us 
Oh how he loves 

Yeah, he loves us 
Oh how he loves us 
Oh how he loves us 
Oh how he loves 



And then I become very humbled that God is jealous for ME!! He is jealous for me, Kelly Blevins. No need in my having jealousy or envy over others because the only One who matters is jealous for me exactly the way I am.







No comments:

Post a Comment