Saturday, March 10, 2012

Isaiah 40:31

      But those who trust in the LORD will find new strength.
      They will soar high on wings like eagles.
   They will run and not grow weary.
      They will walk and not faint.

I had treatment on Thursday...just 2 weeks after the last one (normally they are 3 weeks apart but due to scheduling conflicts, there was no choice). I was dreading it as always, but it was lessened a little this time because David was able to be with me. The past 2 treatments he has had work conflicts that have been unavoidable. I always think it will be fine, but when it comes down to it, I need him with me. We have this thing...it's a routine. We've been there, done that so many times that we are just in sync on treatment days. Don't misunderstand, I am always so excited for friends to come along with me when David can't be there, but once the meds kick in and I get loopy I feel vulnerable and just need him with me.
Back to treatment...had my ECHO done first to check heart function. A side effect of all of the chemos I have received is heart failure so I get scans every 3 months to ensure all is well. Haven't heard back from this one, but I am sure it is fine. Then time for treatment... I had a nurse that I had never met before. Her name was Corie and she was WONDERFUL! We chatted while she accessed my port and got my fluids going. She was truly pleasant and I enjoyed having her be my nurse. I felt like she had time for me and she actually engaged in conversation like the nurses at the hospital site did. It was a really good experience this time around.
That night, I did get sick three times, but I have become accustomed to throwing up the night of treatment. It's just the way my body reacts, and now that I expect it, I can handle it better. 
The following day, I had childcare arranged for the morning but it fell through last minute. For a second I panicked, but then it was all okay. I realized that I was feeling okay. Not the normal blah, can't wake up, need to be in bed feeling. I actually felt good. So I got myself and the kids ready and headed to Chick-fil-A to meet a group of gals. I was going to go to MOPS, but I didn't plan a dish since I thought I would be sick and not going anywhere. After that, we went to a super awesome consignment sale that Clarksville has twice/year. Chloe's friend Kirk went with us there (he was at CFA too and wanted to hang with Chloe) and the kids played while I shopped. I got some good deals. Check this out: Janie and Jack dress $6, Gymboree onesie $1 (tag still on it), Old Navy Outfit $3, another onesie $1, 10 board books for $5, and some level 1 reading books for $3. And the biggest score of all. A BIKE FOR BRODY for $3.50. Yep, you read that right. I just had to get training wheels for it which were $10 but still, that's a kids' bike for less than $15 and I saw the same bike brand new for $60 at Target. Anyways, after consigning, went to Target to meet Kirk's mom and hand him back over. We had lunch there and then shopped around a bit. After that, we headed home to rest. Then I hit up the grocery store to try to find some wheat, milk, and egg free foods for Chloe due to her knew allergy diagnoses. Got home from there, made dinner and then collapsed into a HOT bath! 

Today was atypical for a post-chemo day. It reminded me of the promise God gives us in Isaiah. I feel like I did soar on wings of eagles, run and not grow weary, and walk without fainting. 

No comments:

Post a Comment