Monday, January 2, 2012

One Word

So if you have read my blog for any period of time now, you may remember that I don't do resolutions. I think they are ridiculous, dumb, and pointless...no really, they are. HOWEVER, I was introduced to the concept of One Word 4 years ago and have since adopted the concept for myself.
One Word is where you literally choose the one word that you want to focus on for the upcoming year and you shape your life and choices around that one word. You begin to look for ways to incorporate the word into your daily living. In 2009, my word was EMBRACE. I was diagnosed that year with stage 3 aggressive breast cancer and had to learn to embrace the physical, emotional and spiritual changes that I was going through. It was a hard year, but a very rewarding one when I see the growth that has happened in me. In 2010 and 2011, my word was RESTORATION. In 2010, I chose that word because I was going to be having more physical changes in my body as reconstruction was going to be happening. Emotionally, I needed restoration as treatments were going to finally stop which in a cancer patient's world is a scary thought. Nothing is being done anymore to fight the disease and you just hope and trust that you are healed. I chose RESTORATION again in 2011 because I wasn't restored in 2010. Reconstruction didn't work and it was the hardest 6 months of my life...the pain was unbearable and emotionally I was a wreck. So, putting the attempts at reconstruction behind me and deciding, through lots of prayer and petitioning to the Lord, I felt that it was time to get my spiritual life along with my physical and emotional life restored in the way God wanted it to be; it was a year of being restored to Him.
So, for the big reveal for this year. My One Word for 2012 is INTENTIONAL and here is what dictionary.com has to say about it (I always like to look up the definition of my word to make sure I truly understand it in it's rightful way).


in·ten·tion·al


1.
done with intention or on purpose; intended: an intentional insult.
2.
of or pertaining to intention or purpose.

1.  designed, planned.

I actually like the synonyms better, but for all intents and purposes (haha), I'm keeping "intentional" as that is the word the Lord laid on my heart.
Now for the opposite of intentional and what I hope to avoid because after all, who wants to go through life living like this:
Antonyms 
1.  accidental

And, just to confirm that this is supposed to be my One Word for this year, the Lord proved faithful and gave me Scripture to confirm it. And get this, it's not like it was from the New Testament, one of Paul's letters, a familiar story etc... It was from the book of Haggai! I mean really...Haggai?!? Who reads that (just kidding, sort of)? Haggai 1:7 says :" This is what the Lord Almighty says: Give careful thought to your ways."  As I set out in this new year, I plan to give careful thought to ALL of my ways...every single decision I make. I may be being intentional 5 times/day or 25 times/day, but either way, it's one intentional decision at a time.

So, hop on the new bandwagon and forget your resolutions...if you haven't forgotten them already (ha!). Choose a word and start living it out! And if you do, leave me a comment, and if you are dead set on resolutions, well then leave me a comment and tell me what they are. I'd love to know either way.

7 comments:

  1. My word is COURAGE. (And I looked it up too...you know just to make sure it fit) :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Love it Emily...and I miss you blogging!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Last year my word was Peace. This year it's Love. Came to me at the end of a long run as clear as if God had spoken it to me himself (and, of course, He did). Thanks, K!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Kelly,

    I've been waiting on your word! I. Love. It. Still thinking...although I had a devotion that smacked me in the face the other day...

    ReplyDelete
  5. Sarah - what a great word! I mean good grief, God IS love so I think it's a perfect word! And girlfriend, I've been meaning to ask...what happened to your blog?

    Kim, hey gal! Can't wait to see your word. And I loved what you wrote about on your blog...kind of the opposite of a resolution. Perfect and now I need to make a list but it may take me a while. Eeek!

    ReplyDelete
  6. ha, my word is deliberate! the last 2 years were love and discover. sounds like we're on a similar path this year. :) btw, i do not agree with you about resolutions, i LOVE them, lol!
    de·lib·er·ate/diˈlibərit/
    Adjective: Done consciously and intentionally: "a deliberate attempt to provoke conflict".

    Verb: Engage in long and careful consideration: "she deliberated over the menu".

    Synonyms: adjective. intentional - wilful - studied - willful - purposeful
    verb. consider - ponder - debate - meditate - think over

    ReplyDelete