Saturday, December 10, 2011

Excerpts From A Favorite...

I have been reading some FANTASTIC books lately that I strongly recommend...could I even use the term "endorse"? Well, if I were an author, which I will be one day soon, I could use that term officially, but for now, I will use it and pretend...HA!

The first book I want to tell you about is by Kyle Idleman and is called not a fan. (and it is written just like that on the cover...lowercase and all). Here is how I came across this book. I had recently finished another book on my Kindle and decided to just do a search using just the word "Jesus" and this was one of the first books that came back. Now given the title, I was originally offended and decided to get the free sample just to see why this would come back on a Jesus search term. HOLY MOLY...I was hooked by the end of the short sample. Catchy title also comes with a subtitle (that I couldn't see at the time it was searched) of...becoming a completely committed follower of Jesus.

This book is A.M.A.Z.I.N.G!!!!! Who wants to be a fan of Jesus? It sounds good at first, right?!? I mean it gives the feeling of "yay Jesus! Woo-hoo, I love Him..." but honestly, is that as far as it goes for you? Is that as deep as you want to go with Christ? Not me!!! I do not want to be merely a fan, but a follower! Here are some excerpts from the book...

* It wasn't the size of the crowd Jesus cared about; it was their level of commitment.
* Fans of Jesus who know all about him, but they don't know him.
* The biggest threat to the church today is the fans who call themselves Christians but aren't actually interested in following Christ. They want to be close enough to Jesus to get all the benefits, but not so close that it requires anything from them.
* Fans often confuse their admiration for devotion. They mistake their knowledge of Jesus for intimacy with Him.
* There is no way to follow Jesus without him interfering in your life. It was cost you something.
* Like the Pharisees, many fans have given their minds to the study of God, but they never surrendered their hearts.
* Jesus does not expect followers to be perfect, but he does call them to be authentic.
* When we learn to truly follow Jesus, we find that obedience to God comes from the inside out. Submission to what God wants for our lives flows naturally out of that relationship.
* In Luke 9:23, Jesus makes it clear that if we are going to follow him, a casual no strings attached arrangements isn't a possibility.
* If you call yourself a Christian, by definition you are committing to following Christ with every area of your life.
and lastly...
* Taking up your cross and following Jesus can and will bring pain and suffering. You can't carry a cross without suffering. And here's the question that is keeping me awake these days: Am I really carrying a cross if there is no suffering and sacrifice? When is the last time that following Jesus cost you something?

Seriously, get the book. I will loan it to you via Kindle if you have one and that will save you a few bucks...it's really that good!!! Promise.

1 comment: