Tuesday, March 22, 2011

New Perspective

In my community group at church, we are studying the book of Philippians through a workbook/video series by Matt Chandler. He is the lead pastor at The Village Church in Dallas, TX. And I should say that in my book, he ranks right up there with Steven Furtick and Craig Groeschel. All wonderful mentors through their teachings and amazing examples of sold-out-for-Jesus men. Anyways, back to my topic. Two weeks ago we were talking about being discontent and that it is actually okay to not be fully content with your life...your spiritual life that is! It's true. Should we ever be happy with where we are in our relationship with Jesus? Nope...I don't believe so. I think we should always crave more of Him and seek Him out always. We should always want a better prayer life, more time with Christ, more time studying His Word, and more time hearing from Him. We referred to this as Holy Discontentment. Where in your life are you discontented? For me, it's my prayer life. I really really want a more effective and more consistent time in prayer not just talking to God, but also listening in silence to Him. I tend to start thinking about random things during my prayer time and I hate that. I do have a prayer journal that I keep though and that has helped this discontentment somewhat (again, I think I will always have holy discontentment). I have 4 categories...David, Kelly, Other Family, and Friends. I write down every single prayer need that I can think of or that people tell me about. That helps me focus and then at the end of each month, I highlight the ones that have been answered and re-write the ones that haven't for the next month.

Then there is the topic of Eternal Perspective. Boy do I need that!!! So many things can really get me worked up and anxious, irritated, upset, angry, etc... Things like my kids fighting, crazy people on the road, betrayal by friends, rudeness, etc... I think we all get worked up over things such as these. Heck, I even get a little irritated when my dear husband leaves his clothes scattered on the floor or doesn't put his cup in the dishwasher. I admit it, I am a clean freak. However, does any of this matter in the long run? I mean really. Nothing matters in life except that we seek to follow Jesus more and more each day. That I try to see everything from His eyes...the eternal perspective.
My community group decided this week to really try to see everything from the EP (yes, it's too much to type so it gets initials). It's pretty amazing what that can do for you. Today as I sat at Vanderbilt waiting on tests and the doctor, I was getting more and more anxious. While I love that place because of the wonderful cancer treatment I got, I also hate that place because of the bad memories that come along with it. Anyways, I just kept saying over and over to myself "eternal perspective." I know I had cancer in order to further the kingdom of God. I know that I was meant to minister to people and namely, Kate. From the eternal perspective, I was right where I should have been doing exactly what God called me to do. And while I didn't verbally minister to someone outright, I pray that my smile, kind words, and holding doors for people helped shine the light of Jesus. That makes the discomfort and anxiety worth it...as I am overcoming myself and pushing forward to Jesus.

Try it this week. Really try it. I think you will be amazed.
Phillipians 3:13 - No, dear brothers and sisters, I have not achieved it, but I focus on this one thing: forgetting the past and looking forward to what lies ahead, (14) I press on to reach the end of the race and receive the heavenly prize for which God, through Christ Jesus, is calling us.

1 comment:

  1. Girl, you are right on the money with eternal perspective!! I hope one day, and very soon, that I can get in agreement with this quote from Beth Moore.

    "God has gone to many lengths to allow and appoint me to experiences common to women." God has called me, and so many others in women's ministry, to experience a broad spectrum of women's issues so I can grow more equipped to do His will toward those I serve. And it is my privilege." ~ Beth Moore

    ReplyDelete