Thursday, January 20, 2011

Really Cool God Story

First...I need to say that I am not on Facebook anymore. Don't be alarmed. Nothing happened except I began feeling like it was taking up too much of my time. I felt the urging from God to break away from it for  a while and use my time differently. I may be back, I may not. Just depends. For now, I am re-ordering my life and putting my focus in different places.


Well, yesterday the most fun God story happened. You know my last post was about taking up the sword of the Spirit which is the Word of God. For me, it means digging deep into Scriptures, proclaiming those as truths in my life, looking for and remembering His promises, and memorizing  and saying Scripture aloud. The sword is literally one of the most powerful tools we have against the enemy. And if you are anything like me, you really need weapons to use against Satan as he uses every opportunity to invade our lives right down to our very thoughts.
So, back to yesterday. I decided to forego my personal devotion time to sleep in a little bit since I was starting a Beth Moore study that day at a local church. MISTAKE...at least for me it was because I am weak and vulnerable. I NEED to be in the Word as much as humanly possible. Instead though, I got up at 6:30 with Chloe and decided to google search what my MRI report showed. I knew I shouldn't do that...very dumb decision on my part because I found a lot more than I bargained for. Before I knew it, I had found out that my lymph node is double the size of normal and that the place where it is at is a main path for metastasis to the liver, lungs, and bone (that is why you NEVER search for anything on the internet regarding cancer...you always find out things you never expected to). Anyways, I tried to put it out of my mind and concentrated on getting my kids ready and heading to church.
I would be lying if I didn't tell you that it did weigh on my mind a LOT on the way to church (especially given that one of my best friend's sister in law died that same morning of breast cancer that had spread). I didn't go into panic mode though. I started thinking about praying this lymph node away and having everyone I know pray it away for me. As my dad said, "we won't pray it to shrink, we will pray it to go away. Why pray for a sandwich when you can have a buffet?" AMEN!!
OK, so getting on to the really cool God story...the study I am doing is titled "Breaking Free" and it is about freedom from the strongholds in our lives. Perfect...one of my many is fear. And I would dare say it is my main one right now. So at the end of the lesson, our last verse to look up was Judges 6:23. Guess what it said!!?? (I can hardly contain my excitement) "And the Lord said, Peace! Do not be afraid. You will not die." Seriously!!! He said that...to me, and to Gideon if we are being precise here. But really, as I read that scripture and listened to Beth talk about it, I just laughed inside and danced with joy because I knew that the verse was FOR ME on that very day. God's grace is just way undeserving! I chose to not have my quiet time, research the internet about my MRI,  and get scared to death, yet God chose in his unfailing love to pour out His grace and give me that scripture...that Sword of Spirit.
What a perfect way to transition into my afternoon. At peace and in awe that God is so loving and full of grace and mercy. I can just see Him looking down, shaking his head with his hand on his forehead going "Kelly, Kelly, Kelly...you are relentless. Here is more of my Word for you. Take it and REMEMBER it! And for crying out loud, STOP researching the internet. Research ME instead!"

7 comments:

  1. I love this girl! Don't we all research the internet for things we should go to God with :) Love your honesty and heart! You inspire me daily! love you and so glad to share this bible study journey together as well!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wow! I am in tears thinking about how very personal God is. I'm gonna get off the computer and go spend some time w/ Him now. (I too chose to sleep late this morning...)

    ReplyDelete
  3. What an amazing God we serve!! So intimate, so personal, so loving and tells us just what our aching hearts need to hear. He is good, always. So thrilled for how He spoke to your heart. :) Thanks for sharing it with us as it encourages us on in Him.

    ReplyDelete
  4. You really are an inspiration, my friend. And if you had any lingering doubts about that Scripture being for you in that moment, let me remind you of another one: "All [emphasis on 'ALL'] of the promises of God are Yes and Amen in Christ Jesus." And I like your dad even though I've never met him. I will be quoting him from now on, "Why have a sandwich when you can have a buffet!" Brilliant! I can't remember my password, so this is Ken from WCU, not actually anonymous.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Wow that's amazing how god does that he's been in my life a lot sept I haven't noticed that untill I read your storie. It has really opened my eys up about god and his glory

    ReplyDelete