Friday, January 7, 2011

Forever Homes

Now that we are in the full swing of things in 2011 (aka...kids are back to parents day out!), I have a second to sit and blog about some really random things. Grab a cup of coffee, a warm blanket and sit with me as I talk about what's been on my mind. They will all tie together by the end of the post I hope.

First, I have been doing a Max Lucado study for about a month now, but just this past week, things have just happened in my heart with what I have been studying. Call me crazy if you want, I will call it Jesus and just say that I think these things that I have been meditating on have been because of my one word...REVIVAL. If you  have no clue what "my one word" is, see previous post. Otherwise, I will continue.
Yesterday morning, I was doing my studying and it was all about scripture and memorizing it so that it can easily be recalled to memory. It was about hiding His word in your heart. That His word is a lamp and light unto our feet and paths, that His word is ALIVE. It is real, it is unchanging, and the only thing that we can ever depend on are the promises that He was given us through His word.
So after finishing the study, I decided to start memorizing 2 scriptures/month. A friend of mine, Beth Moore (okay, we are not real-life friends, but we would be if I lived in TX), has a scripture memorization team of women. This is what they do. They write their new scripture on the 1st and 15th of every month and then they spend the following weeks memorizing, meditating, applying, etc...
OK, so on to today (I will tie this all together I promise, just hang on with me). This morning's study was about the disappointments in life that we will experience, the fears, unmet expectations. My first thought was was that the past two years have been written in God's plan for my life to ultimately bring Him glory. It wasn't so that I would have disappointments, fears, failures, etc... It was all to help carry out my purpose in life - to further His kingdom. And my next thought was that I wonder what my future will look like. I wonder what my REVIVAL is going to look like.
So, at the end of my study I was praying about some big changes that could be coming upon our family by the end of 2012. I was asking God to show us what to do and what decisions to make. Then I sort of got off track and my mind started wandering (you know it happens to you too). I started thinking about a new house. By the end of this year, we want to be in the beginning process of building what I refer to as "our forever home." You know, the home that my kids will grow up in and my grandchildren will come to someday. I have all sorts of ideas and criteria/lists of things I want in this "forever home" and believe me that when David sees this list probably half of it will be crossed out due to the big budget dreaming I have. However, during the middle of my daydreaming escapade, the Lord gently nudged me by telling me that this will never be my forever home. Earth was not intended to be anyone's forever home. My forever home is heaven. Nothing will satisfy me to the fullest here on Earth and it's not supposed to. If we had everything we could ever imagine on Earth, why would anyone want to go to Heaven? Why would anyone long for their forever home?
Now, for the tie in... as I was searching this morning for my first verse to memorize, this is what was given to me. Hebrews 13:5 - Don't love money; be satisfied with what you have. For God has said, "I will never fail you. I will never abandon you."
So, do I think God does not want us to have a great custom built home? NO! Do I think that we already don't have a great home? NO! But what I do know is that no home, no amount of money, no perfect acting children or super romantic husband will ever fill that last void in my life...my forever home with Jesus! And I can promise you the same thing for your life. You will never feel totally complete and full while here on this earth, but the closest you can get is to become a child of God and know that your forever home is coming.

No comments:

Post a Comment