Friday, December 24, 2010

Ironic

Before I go into what is ironic, let me quickly update on my appointments yesterday at Vanderbilt. I had my 6 month ECHO check which at first came with bad news. They told me my heart function had dropped from 65% (55-65 is normal) to 47%. I took the news just fine with a peace surrounding me like crazy. I never worried about it or got bent out of shape AT ALL! I mentioned it to my oncologist who looked into it, saw that it was originally misread and that the cardiologist said my function was ok at 55%. Whew...I'll take that - a normal reading. My next ECHO will be again in 6 months. Then I went to have labs drawn...3 sticks later they had enough blood for the 6 tubes they needed. My blood counts came back "normal for me" and all is good. My oncologist gave me the all clear and I will go back in 3 weeks for my 6 month MRI check. I'm so relieved that I have no more appointments for the year 2010! Thank the Lord!

Now...on to the more important business...IRONIC! This whole week I have been praying and hoping that the Lord would reveal some new things about Christmas to me through His Word that I have never really taken in before. We all read the story of Christ's birth in Luke 1 and 2, but this year, I decided to read from each gospel. The first thing that was revealed to me was from Matthew...the lineage of Jesus. Can we all say imperfect. We have Rahab, Tamar, Bathsheeba, even King David who had some sketchy moments in his life yet was known as a man after God's own heart. And then have you ever picked up on the fact that Ruth is mentioned in the bloodline of Jesus even though she was a Gentile and not a Jew. See...he came for everyone and it even dates back to waaaaay before he was born.
Then this morning is what got me the most. I got up, turned on the Christmas tree, grabbed myself a diet coke (not in a coffee mood lately) and started doing my Bible study. The topic today? DEATH. What?!? Death...when we are celebrating the birth of our Savior? Hmmm...so I settled in, soaked it all in and the Holy Spirit started speaking to me.
Jesus was completely fine living a perfect life in Heaven with God.
He came to this fallen world as a human...a baby. Born in a barn stall with animals surrounding him.
He was born to die.
He was born to die for me and you and all of mankind and did just that when he was crucified.
His death equals our eternal life.
He was born to conquer death.

So as my family celebrates the birth of baby Jesus, I will remember that this sweet little baby was born with the specific purpose to die for me. How humbling is that? How much love that expresses! I pray that each of you, as you celebrate Christmas, will remember that not only was Christ born on this day, but that he was born to die so that we can live with Him forever.

"Greatest man in history, named Jesus, had no servants, yet they called Him Master. Had
no degree, yet they called Him Teacher. Had no medicines, yet they called Him Healer. 
He had no army, yet kings feared Him. He won no military battles, yet He conquered the 
world. He committed no crime, yet they crucified Him. He was buried in a tomb, yet He 
lives today."

1 comment:

  1. Beautiful, Kelly, Thank you for sharing this with us! Please wish your family a wonderful Christmas Day from us.

    ReplyDelete