Friday, July 9, 2010

Very Interesting News To Share

If you have estrogen positive breast cancer or know anyone who does, then this is a MUST READ post.
Last week, I went to see a natural medicine doctor here in Clarksville. Now, before you think this guy is probably just a quack let me just say that this man was educated at Johns Hopkins and did his residency at the Mayo Clinic. He was a family physician first, but then became a doctor who wanted to focus more on the preventative side of health instead of fixing things after they are already broken. So, I went to see him so that I could just figure out what I could do to prevent my cancer from coming back and how I could just get healthy in general. I don't sleep well at all, have a hard time falling asleep, have bowel issues (yes, TMI), hot flashes from induced menopause, fatigue, irritability, weight gain, etc... Things just are NOT right with my body and I am tired of just putting a band-aid over the problem...I want to prevent even having to buy a band-aid. And this is where this doctor comes in.

At my first visit, he spent so much time with me, that I actually had to tell him that I had to go because my babysitter had to be home. Now tell me how many doctors actually do that nowadays. Anyways, he ordered some labwork and I got the most interesting abnormal result - a very high blood level of copper. Now my doctor is out of town so he left a message for me of what I needed to do about it and said that we would talk more next week when he returned. I decided to google what this could mean and this is what I discovered...
HIGH COPPER LEVELS IN THE BLOOD CAN INCREASE ESTROGEN LEVELS WHICH HAVE BEEN LINKED TO CAUSING ESTROGEN POSITIVE BREAST CANCER. HIGH COPPER LEVELS ALSO CAN CAUSE THYROID DISEASE AND POST-PARTUM DEPRESSION.
So, at my age, it is rare for breast cancer to be estrogen positive. My surgeon was very surprised that it was positive! Also, I developed a thyroid mass (benign) and after both of my children I did have post-partum depression. HOLY COW!!!! This could be something as simple as a high copper level?!? All of these really crappy things that have happened?!? I can't wait for my doctor to get back to discuss all of this with him and to also get the rest of my lab results. And I am wondering if my kidney stones are due to high copper levels too. I'll know soon enough I guess.

Another thing that has been related to breast cancer is that melatonin (what makes us sleepy when it gets dark) drastically affects how breast cancer grows. Here is an article from WEBMD that explains it.

And finally, I have a very low level of Vitamin D in my body. Here is how that is linked to breast cancer:

I am absolutely convinced that leading a healthy lifestyle and taking care of your body by eating the foods it needs (and that God has provided for us) is essential is fighting all disease. Here's to getting and staying healthy!

2 comments:

  1. Really interesting Kelly and again I think it's great that you are seeing a preventive health physician. I do believe that prevention is a big key, probably why I'm borderline rigid about my food and exercise. I'll have to share this with our friend Melissa.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Kelly,
    I was wondering if you had seen a natural doctor or not? Since my diagnosis I have been flooded with info from friends on the alternative/natural side. I, too, am going to see an integrative doctor who will look at the whole body versus just the disease itself. I truly believe that disease is the end product of damage happening in our bodies over a period of time...usually toxicity levels and cellular damage that happens as a result. I pray that by finding this, you may be able to make some changes that will greatly impact your health.

    I will be praying that God will guide you down this path, and give you wisdom as you make decisions.

    God Bless,
    Stacy

    ReplyDelete