Tuesday, May 25, 2010

Persistence - Part 2

OK, so a couple of days late but nonetheless, I am here now and am going to catch you all up on the story of the persistent widow from Luke chapter 18. I'm sure that every single one of you have read this story, know this story, etc...but somehow, I either had really never heard it or read it, or if I did had forgotten all about it. So, the story goes that there was a widow in desperate need for help. She had no husband, no sons, no brothers, no men in her life (or family for that matter) who could help her so she was desperate. REALLY desperate. So, she went to the judge of her city to help her resolve her problem. This judge was not a godly man at all and he certainly did not care about people - at all! However, the widow went to him relentlessly every single day asking for his help. Eventually, he was tired of getting nagged and finally gave in to the widow - basically to shut her up. Want to know the "moral of the story?" It's found in verse 6 - Then the Lord said, "Learn a lesson from this unjust judge. Even he rendered a just decision in the end. So don't you think that God will surely give justice to his chosen people who cry out to him day and night? Will he keep putting them off? I tell you, he will grant justice to them quickly! But when the Son of Man returns, how many will he find on the earth who have faith?"
God asks us to pray without ceasing - with persistence. If we do that, often times God allows us to see the fruit of the prayer. He hears us and wants to answer us. He wants us to persistently ask and he wants us to have that desperate faith where we soley rely on Him. We should have prayers that are "impossible" and require a radical faith.
You see many times in my prayers, I always tell God, "I KNOW that you can do this Lord because it says in scripture.... But you see, there is a difference in saying "can" and "will." Theology tells us that God can, but faith tells us that God will!!!
So, I have revamped my certain prayer as far as I am going to be persistent just like that widow but I won't stop there. Nope, I'm gonna keep asking and keep believing that God is going to answer that prayer in the PERFECT time.

3 comments: