Thursday, May 13, 2010

Food - You Know You Love It!

For the past 6 weeks, my family has been doing things a bit different in regards to food. I have adopted a new way of eating for myself, but my family also experiences this with me at dinner times. I think I have already blogged about it so I will just get down to business with the real purpose of this post...RECIPES!!! Quite a few of you have asked for recipes and I have promised them to be coming "soon." So, without furthur ado...
Oh, and a side note...all of these have been made by me and they are YUMMY GOOD!!!

GINGER HONEY CHICKEN:
* olive oil cooking spray
* 2 Tbsp low-sodium soy sauce
* 1 Tbsp lime juice
* 1 Tbsp raw honey
* 2 Tbsp grated ginger (I omitted this because I HATE ginger)
* 2 cloves garlic, minced
* 1/4 tsp hot pepper sauce
* 4 boneless skinless chicken breasts

1. Preheat the oven to 350. Spray a baking sheet with a thin layer of cooking spray.
2. In a small bowl, whisk together the next six ingredients.
3. Put chicken into the baking sheet and brush it with the marinade. Bake chicken for about 30 minutes.
4. Serve with brown rice and steamed veggies.


PASTA ROLL-UPS WITH TURKEY AND SPINACH:
* 1 tsp EVOO
* 1 small onion - chopped finely
* 1 clove garlic - minced
* 1 pound ground turkey breast
* 1 28oz can of whole tomatoes in their juice
* 1 tsp of salt
* 8 sheets of dried whole wheat lasagna
* 1 100z box frozen chopped spinach, thawed
* 15oz container of non-fat ricotta cheese
* 1 egg
* 3/4 cup shredded reduced-fat mozzarella cheese

1. In a large skillet, heat EVOO over medium heat. Add onion and cook for about 5 minutes. Add garlic and cook 1 more minute. Turn heat up to med-high and add ground turkey. When meat is no longer pink, add tomatoes and salt. Now turn heat back down to med-low, cover and let simmer for 20 minutes. Stir occasionally and break up tomatoes as you do.
2. While that cooks, boil the lasagna noodles then drain, rinse, and let cool.
3. Preheat oven to 400. Squeeze all moisture from the thawed spinach and place in a big bowl. Add ricotta cheese, egg, and 1/4 cup of mozzarella cheese. Stir until combined.
4. Spread 1 cup of the cooked tomato sauce in the bottom of a casserole dish. Lay a cooked lasagna noodle flat and use your fingers to spread 1/8 of ricotta mixture across it. Next, roll it up and place the seam side down. Repeat with all of the noodles. Spread the remaining tomato sauce over the roll-ups, then top with the rest of the shredded cheese.
5. Bake covered with foil for 20 minutes. Remove the foil and let cook for 5 more minutes or until roll-ups are brown and bubbly.

Seriously, these recipes are so good! I know the second one seems like a lot of work, but it's really not. The thing I like about it too is that while the sauce is simmering and noodles cooking, I was able to clean up the kitchen mess I had made. Then when it was time to eat, there was NO MESS except the baking sheet to clean.

OK - I have one more but it's getting late and I'm tired so it will be in a seperate post probably with a few more. I'm going to start putting pictures that I take while cooking with my recipes too to make things a bit more "interesting."
I would love feedback as to whether I should do a seperate blog for just my recipes, or keep it on this one. Originally this blog was just going to be about my walk through cancer and the continued encouragement that I receive through friends, sermons that I listen to, books that I read, and words that the Lord directly speaks to me. However, food is definitely a part of my cancer experience as I have learned so much about what foods help prevent cancer and other diseases, and how foods affect different systems in our bodies. Hmmm, thinking about it now, I most likely will do a seperate blog and put a link in the sidebar under the link to my family blog. Still, comments/opinions welcome!

1 comment:

  1. The recipes look like things I would cook. I love ginger! I think you should keep them on here if you would like for the sake of having another blog.

    ReplyDelete