Wednesday, April 7, 2010

Hang On Tight...Cause Here We Go!

As I sit here tonight starting this post, I feel extremely unqualified to be writing it. The topic...? Raw Foods and Clean Eating. What am I eating right now...potato chips. Nope, not kidding. I have been doing SO incredibly well with my new lifestyle but for some reason tonight has been difficult. OK, now that the confession is over with (I'm just being real here), let me get on to how I have been eating for the past 2 weeks and how I hope to continue for a lifetime.
Here are some questions I have gotten about this so far...
1. Why are you doing this? Well, the answer to that would be because I have had cancer and I do NOT want it again. One of the major things that I can control is my diet and what I choose to put into my body. The old saying is so so true... we really are what we eat (so why am I eating these dang chips right now?)
2. What inspired this change so suddenly? Easy...my good friend and chemo buddy Kate Clark. She totally believed in eating clean, juicing, and raw foods as much as possible. I have always admired this about her, but I was not mentally ready to make such a change in my own life.
3. How did you get started? Books!! Several books. The Raw Food Detox Diet, What To Eat If You Have Cancer, The Anti-Cancer Diet, Raw Foods for Busy People, and I think that is it. My favorite by far is The Raw Food Detox Diet. It explains everything in just enough detail and then tells you exactly what to do. It is soooo worth the $15 it costs. It even includes shopping lists and recipes that are really really good. And another that is great as it tells WHY we should eat certain foods and what health benefits they each have is The Anti-Cancer Diet.
4. Where do I shop? Whole Foods, Trader Joe's, Kroger, and I am getting ready to join a crop-sharing alliance. The CSA works like this...I am joining a farm in Springfield for $100/month for the months of May-October. During those months, I will get a share of the crops that they grow which includes all veggies that are in season, some fruits, and 1/2 dozen eggs each week. By doing this, I will save money on produce, I will be getting locally grown organic produce, and will be supporting this farm in our area.
5. What does my typical day look like? OK, here it is...
Breakfast - fruit. nothing but fruit. Apples, oranges, bananas, and grapes are my favorites so any one of those or any combination works. Water.
Lunch - salad or lightly steamed broccoli, zucchini, peppers, etc... with balsamic vinegar added to them for taste. Lara Bar. Water. OR - I may have a sandwich with advocado, lettuce and tomato on 100% whole grain bread.
Snack - raw walnuts or pecans with dried cranberries or more fruit
Dinner - this is where I will incorporate meat if I am going to have any. Tonight, dinner was pecan crusted tilapia filets, steamed broccoli and steamed sweet potatoes. Water.
Snack - 73% dark chocolate piece.
6. How much weight have I lost? 7 pounds in 9 days (and that does include a tad of cheating)
7. Where should I begin? Begin by reading one of the books I mentioned above and going to the grocery store. Get as much fruits and veggies as you can while staying on budget and then come home and clean out your cabinets. Get rid of the processed crap, anything with perservatives, and anythign containing bleached flour, high-fructose corn syrup, and anything else with a long list of ingredients that you can't even pronounce. For me, I just made my own cabinet space for my healthy foods as my family is not quite as on board with this as I am.
8. What staple items do I have besides fruit and veggies? whole wheat flour, quinoa, lentils, brown rice, whole grain organic pasta, millet, raw honey, agave nectar, goat cheese, almond milk, raw nuts, dried cranberries, and 100% whole grain bread. For meat, I have hormone free chicken and wild-caught mahi mahi and tilapia.
9. Do I make green drinks? Yes, I have but I personally prefer to buy the Naked brand Green Drink. It's super yummy and has tons of fruits and veggies in it. It does have lots of sugars, but I am nearly positive that they are from the fruits and their fructose.
10. Do you have recipes to share? YES!!! And that will come in the next post about food.

Now, leave comments with questions you have, advice you may want, or anything else.

2 comments:

  1. Ok, I am all in the crop sharing, must get that info from you and a yes yes yes I need to be on board more! I have been bad, especially in regards to Cross. I was so good until he formed an opinion and now I cave, lots! Love you, super dooper proud of you!!!!!!!

    K

    ReplyDelete
  2. good for you! my step dad actually made the drastic change to a strict raw food diet as his treatment for cancer. i was a nay sayer at first but he is doing so well!
    did you just hear the super bad news about agave? :( make the switch to pure maple syrup or raw local honey.
    great post!

    ReplyDelete