Wednesday, March 17, 2010

Patience My Dear...Patience

Oooh, the word that nearly makes me shiver every time I hear it. It brings back such horrible memories of my sophomore year in college. I had being praying for patience that summer and wouldn't you know that my roommate that year was the test to help me with that prayer request. It was a horrific experience and since then I promise that I have NEVER prayed for patience.
So this morning when I opened up my Beth Moore study and saw that I was getting ready to start the fruit of the Spirit - PATIENCE - my heart sank and I nearly skipped over it. I didn't though and now I am thrilled at how God spoke to me.
So, patience means to persevere or endure things or circumstances. And in 1 Thessalonians, it tells us that hope-desiring something good and expecting it- is what inspired their endurance (I like this word better than patience so I am using it from here on out). Job also displayed endurance under crazy hard circumstances that was inspired by his hope.
Check this out...Job 23:8-10 says essentially that when Job could not find God anywhere, his comfort was knowing that God knew exactly where he was. He was able to endure his testing because he knew he would come forth as gold. Job knew that his trials would result in refinement in God. He had hope that God was at work, that God would come to earth one day, that he himself would have a new healthy body and that he would see God's face.
Now if Job can have the kind of hope that inspired his endurance, then why can't we? Here is a man who lost EVERYTHING except his life and wife yet we don't have the endurance to wait for God to work it all out for the good like He promised in Romans. Job did not even have the Bible like we do that is full of His promises to us yet he still listended to and trusted God to work it all out for his benefit.
So the next time I am having a hard day with my kids not behaving and whining ALL DAY LONG, or nothing going as I had planned for it to, or just being completely disappointed in something, I will persevere because of the hope that one day...
1. I will receive all that God has promised (Hebrews 10:35-36)
2. I will have joy awaiting me (Hebrews 12:1-2)
3. I will be perfect and complete when my endurance is fully developed (James 1:2-4)
4. I always have my salvation and eternal glory in Christ (2 Timothy 2:10)
5. I will reign with Him one day (2 Timothy 2:12)

And just because I think this verse rocks and I want to make sure you read it...I wanted to type out #4. 2 Timothy 2:10 - So I am willing to endure ANYTHING if it will bring salvation and eternal glory in Christ Jesus to those God has chosen.

4 comments:

  1. OH
    AMEN and AMEN. What a blessing this post is. And how scary that I can think of so many things that I am scared of enduring.. "Oh Lord, not THIS".. I say in a quaking voice. And yet, is not ANYTHING that I might have or fear counted as nothing compared to the glory of God? I claim that verse as well.

    ReplyDelete
  2. haha, yes...i've heard it over and over, never pray for patience, lol!

    ReplyDelete