Sunday, February 14, 2010

For The Joy of the Lord is Our Strength

First of all, HAPPY VALENTINES DAY to all of my blogger-world friends and family. I hope you all spent the day with your loved ones as I did and enjoyed it. For me, it just reminded me that Jesus is supposed to be our first love so that's how we started our day out...at church worshipping and soaking in as much Jesus as we could. Then, we came home and spent the whole day together as a family. The kids were so good today and we all had a blast being together. Those kids are such a joy in my life that I sometimes look at them and wonder what in the world I did to deserve those two precious blessings.
But now, on to JOY! I have been doing a Beth Moore study called "Living Beyond Yourself." It's awesome, amazing, and full of the Holy Spirit. I love it as I strive to be filled more and more with the Spirit each day. Anyways, the second fruit of the Spirit is joy. I have learned new things this week about joy and have been reminded things about it that I had forgotten or been too wrapped up in my own pity party to remember. First, I learned that SALVATION IS OUR JOY (Luke 10:20 and Psalm 51:12)! Nothing else is...simply salvation and it is God's. It's about Him and it's His to give. By His grace we are given this amazing gift!!! So if we have a day where things are crappy and we are feeling sorry for ourselves or our circumstances, we need only remember that we have SALVATION and that's nothing to be bummed about.
The second thing that I learned is the joy of discovery. To quote Beth, "the presence, purpose, and power of God is best discovered through difficulty." Can I get an "amen" please?!? That is SOOOOO true! We only need to look at Paul's experiences in Acts to see this.
And the last thing I will mention is that there is restoration joy. Psalm 71:20-21 says "You have allowed me to suffer much hardship but you will RESTORE me to life again and lift me up from the depths of the earth. You will RESTORE me to even greater honor and comfort me once again." Is that not an awesome promise? That after all of the suffering we endure that we will be restored to an even greater place of comfort and honor??? I know one thing to be true. I feel like my restoration from breast cancer is my SEE Pink ministry. I am able to take that horrible experience and trial and reach out to serve other women suffering the same disease. I have been blessed with about 8-10 new women in my life who I have the privelege of knowing, ministering to, serving and praying for. I can sympathize and empathize with them because of the hardship I faced. I can show them how awesome and loving and faithful God is through every circumstance we face. I have been restored to an even greater place of comfort!!!

I leave you with this...The joy of the Lord is truly our strength. Focus on this when you are tempted to let satan rule your emotions and you won't be down for too long! There is joy to be had!!!
Love to you all.

2 comments:

  1. Love this encouragement from the Bible Study. Man I am going to take that with me: the presence, purpose, and power of God is best discovered through difficulty.

    And I'm going to start praying specifically for restoration.

    Thanks for sharing! I love your blog!!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. So powerful!

    I think our cancer battles not only draw us closer to God, but help us empathize with our brothers and sisters in Christ persecuted around the world, meeting in secret to avoid imprisonment or worse.

    Cancer is an enemy from within, akin to persecution from without..thank you for the reminder that joy is a fruit of the Spirit, not a Disney fantasy.

    Blessings to you, Kate and your families,
    Joe

    ReplyDelete