Monday, January 18, 2010

Weekend Update

This past weekend, my family and I traveled to Georgia to see my in-laws and go to a wedding. David was the best man so it was a MUST GO TO WEDDING. I love weddings though so I was excited about all of the festivities.
So, on Saturday, as I sat in the church staring at the bride and groom several thoughts came to mind as did a few tears come to my eyes. Here's my good ol' trusty standby...the list!
1. They look so amazingly happy and I so remember that on my wedding day!
2. In sickness and in health...I pray that those vows only ever include the health for them, but if sickness comes their way, then may the Lord bless them to grow stronger as a couple like He did for me and David.
3. I think I love David even more today than I did on our wedding day (impossible to imagine) because we have been through the darkest times and he has not wavered one bit in his devotion to me.

Then came time for the reception. FUN FUN FUN! We had an amazing time mingling, eating, dancing, and laughing late into the evening. However, there was one part of the reception that caught me off guard. It was the Father/Daughter and Mother/Son dance. At first, I pictured Chloe out there with David (in like maybe 40 years) and me out there with Brody (in maybe 45 years). I was smiling from ear to ear watching these dances and then it hit me...like a ton of bricks! WHAT IF I DO NOT LIVE TO HAVE THIS DANCE WITH MY SON AT HIS WEDDING OR SEE CHLOE HAVE HER DANCE WITH DAVID?!? Then, I was a mess. Tears welled up and started trickling. I could not get myself together for the entire dance it seemed. I don't know why this thought came to me at such a happy event. But it did and it stayed with me until last night. At that point, I decided to do what a friend suggested. Meditate...not like in a new age way, but the way it says in the Bible. We are to meditate on the things of God (his unfailing love, decrees, wonderful deeds, miracles, etc...). Too often we meditate on our problems. For me, that would be cancer, a child who won't potty train, a child who is sick AGAIN, friends who have cancer, friends and family who are at war, and the list goes on. However, we should change our way of thinking and STOP meditating on the problem and instead meditate on The Word. Focus on the truth that the Bible gives us. Find a verse relevant to our problem and repeat it a dozen times an hour if we have to instead of giving satan the power over our minds and emotions. Do I feel like it's okay to have these pity party sessions and feel the feelings of grief, despair, sadness, anxiety, etc...? YES - hear me loud and clear that I KNOW the Lord has given us these emotions and He knows we will feel them. Do I feel like it's okay to wallow in them forever? NO - He gives us promises in His word that pertains to every aspect of our lives. We just have to search out the scripture, find them, and pray them for our lives.
So, here are the meditations of my heart and the scriptures I WILL be saying aloud every single time I am tempted to focus on the problem...

Cancer: the Lord gave me this scripture a long time ago when I was crying out to Him about dying from breast cancer... JOHN 11:4 - This sickness will not end in death. No it happened for the glory of God so that the Son of God will receive glory from this.
Child Rearing: Taking suggestions for a verse on this
Illness of friends and family: PSALM 121:7-8 - The Lord keeps you from all harm and watches over your life. The Lord keeps watch over you as you come and go, both now and forever.
Friends and family at war: PSALM 92:11 - For he will order his angels to protect you wherever you go. They will hold you up with their hands so you won't even hurt your foot on a stone.

3 comments:

  1. LOVE YOU! MISS YOU! Next week catch up date, no question!!!!!!

    Texas Bound!
    K

    ReplyDelete
  2. I pray for peace and wisdom for you. I pray for a moment or two of complete serenity and to completely remember the joy you have found in Christ!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I came across your blog through Gcom church's facebook page and this really was uplifting to me. I read a few of your entries and I love how insightful they are! They really make me think how I can apply what you are saying to my own life and be grateful. I hope you don't mind that I subscribe b/c I really enjoy what you write! :) I hope that you are doing well! God bless!<3

    ReplyDelete