Monday, November 23, 2009

Sharing A Story

On March 6, 2006 I discovered that I was pregnant with Chloe. This was the most thrilling news for us. Immediately I called my doctor's office and scheduled an appointment and within 45 minutes, I started bleeding. NOT A GOOD SIGN. I instantly called the doctor back and spoke with a nurse named Debbie. Debbie was the sweetest most calming nurse and she really helped calm my nerves. As the days passed and things were looking super grim with that pregnancy, I talked to Debbie a lot on the phone. She never made me feel like I was bothering her but instead treated me like I was the only preggo person in Clarksville. Obviously, that pregnancy ended at 40 weeks with a sweet baby girl named Chloe, and Debbie was thrilled to see her when I brought her in for my check-up.
Fast forward to July 2, 2008 (yes, I remember important dates very well) and Debbie was my go-to nurse again. She called me to check on me when I went into pre-term labor with Brody. We talked several times on the phone towards the end of that pregnancy yet at this time I felt like we were more friends than nurse/patient. And at that point we made the connection that her son was working for David. Her son, Patrick is an amazing young man who you can tell was raised in a Christian home. He's polite, courteous, loving, compassionate, honest, and much more...just like his mom. Anyways, Debbie and I stayed in contact through that pregnancy too.
Fast forward to May 2009 and Debbie and I meet in the most random place of all...the cancer clinic at Vanderbilt. The month after Brody was born, she was diagnosed with a cancerous tumor on her thigh that had spread to her lungs. At this point, she had been undergoing chemo for about 6-7 months. We chatted everytime we saw each other while David would talk to Patrick (he came with his mom to every single treatment). Every time I saw her, she had a smile on her face and if we were talking children you could see the sparkle in her eyes as she talked of hers.
The last time that I saw Debbie was in July. Her chemo had stopped working so they were moving on to an oral experimental treatment. I missed seeing them every week. It was kind of fun to go to chemo and see the same people...especially your friends. I have often thought about her and Patrick and wondered how they were doing. I've prayed that her new chemo was working and that she would be miraculously healed. Unfortunately for her friends and family, she passed away today. My heart aches for her sons and honestly I've cried my share of tears over her as well. Earth was just a better place because of her. I hate that she is gone, yet I rejoice that she is finally cancer-free. I hate that she is not here with her sons, yet I rejoice that she is in the presence of the SON who will continue to care for her sons.
My life was greatly blessed by knowing Debbie and I know that heaven is just as blessed tonight.

1 comment:

  1. thinking of you with your loss. we need alot more debbie's in the world.

    ReplyDelete