Friday, October 2, 2009

October is Breast Cancer Awareness Month!

Never before has an October affected me so much. I woke up this morning excited that it is breast cancer awareness month. I am excited to see all the things that will be done this month for breast cancer research, and especially thrilled to be taking part in the Race for the Cure in 9 days and the Making Strides walk in 3 weeks. I am also excited that I almost reached my goal of raising $1000 for the Susan G Komen foundation! And...my family was on the cover of Clarksville Family Magazine for this month and one of the journalists wrote an article about my story. She did a beautiful job of writing it if I may say so!

So, on with an update on radiation...things with rads are going great! My skin is doing fine...just a little pink and itchy, but as for now, no burning or anything like that. I've had 12 treatments and have 18 more to go. It truly is going by a lot faster than I thought it would. I go in every morning at 10 AM and am on the table until 10:15. It literally takes 15 minutes tops. However, that 15 minutes I have been told is equal to an 8 hour work day. And I believe it!!! By 2:00 every day I am spent. Luckily, I am sleeping (for the most part) like a rock at night - which is a nice change for me as I have NEVER slept this good in my life!
My hair is coming back like wildfire! It's very dark in color and thick. It's starting to even lay down on the sides and back now. My family loves to rub my head like I'm a good luck charm or something. Chloe especially loves it and asks me almost daily if my hair is still growing. Her little friend came over to play earlier today and he also asked me if my hair is growing back now. So cute how kids notice it. My eyebrows are also coming back and I can see them from a distance now (meaning I don't have to stare in the mirror searching for them). It's only been 6 1/2 weeks since my last chemo so I'm just shocked and thrilled with my hair growth!!!
I go back to Vanderbilt twice this month for check-ups. Next week is an appointment with the cardiologist. A while back I started having PVC's again really bad (I had them several years ago also) but I think it was a dehydration thing due to exercising and not drinking enough water. My oncologist told me to up the water and see if that would help. It did but she still wants me to see the cardiologist since the oral chemo I still take every day can have side effects on the heart. Then the week after I see him, I go back to my oncologist for my first post-chemo check-up. I'm excited to go because I just know I'm going to get good news. The Lord has provided tremendous peace to me regarding my healing.
And speaking of the Lord, these past 10 months would not have been do-able if I didn't have a relationship with my Jesus. Many people speak of religion and will ask what religion you are, but it's not all about that to me...it's more about my relationship with the Lord. You see, that is what He desires. He created us to have a relationship with Him. Mine just continues to grow and the cool thing is that the more you do talk to Him and walk in His ways, the more you crave to do those things. I don't know about you, but I want that. I want to thirst for Him. I want Him to be my top desire and focus. I recently read a book by Francis Chan called Crazy Love. Don't know if you have heard of it, but it is a MUST READ!!! I have leant mine out to a girlfriend, but I am about to go buy another copy and start sharing some of the things from it on my blog because I just feel like it's essential that readers know about this book. I am also going to be doing the book with the study guide in my small group and in a Lady's Bible Study that my friend and I are starting in November. I can't get enough of it. I also have started reading his next book called The Forgotten God (talking about the Holy Spirit) that is great so far.
OK - I know I got totally side-tracked there, but I just had to share that info with you. Please keep praying for my chemo buddy Kate. She had a double mastectomy 2 days ago. She hasn't heard yet about the results as to whether there was any residual cancer left but I will be sure to update as soon as I hear something. We did text briefly the day after her surgery and she seemed to be doing well so far.
Until next time, wear your pink in honor of Breast Cancer Awareness Month and do your self-exams!

2 comments:

  1. Praying now for Kate..
    We have found several books helpful in our cancer battles: Alcorn's "Heaven", Yancey's "The Jesus I Never Knew", Hybel's "Walk Across The Room". And like you and David, volunteer/ministry work really helps fend off self-pity and fear. Thank you for sharing your experiences and lessons learned - it means a lot

    ReplyDelete