Wednesday, June 3, 2009

Just Rambling

Well, the past week has been interesting to say the least. My whole family had the stomach bug and it was none-to-pleasant at our house. Luckily though, we all survived and are here to tell about it.
The new chemo combo is doing really well for me...at least I think it is. I've had no side effects to speak of and have just been feeling really really good physically. After tomorrow's treatment, I will be down to single digits...only 9 more rounds to go. Hard to believe and honestly it makes me a little nervous to think that I will be done with chemo soon.
Next Wednesday, I am going to Vanderbilt to be tested for the breast cancer gene. I'm having mixed feelings about this test. Part of me, as crazy as this sounds, thinks that if it's positive, that at least I will have an explanation as to WHY I got breast cancer at such an early age. Yes, at times I am still wondering why this happened and if I did anything to cause this, or if I could have done something to prevent it. However, I really hope it's negative because obviously I have a daughter and would NEVER want to pass anything like this on to her, and because I have brothers who could also be affected if my test is positive. You see, breast and prostate cancer genes are related. So, I'm praying for a negative test. It takes 6-8 weeks to come back so I'll know right around the time chemo is ending.

And finally, I was able to spend some time with my friend Lynn and her husband this past weekend. She is a breast cancer survivor with a true zest for life and is just a joy to be around. She called me on Sunday and invited me and the family over for a swim and cookout at her house. After having a really crappy day...and I mean really crappy, I took her up on the invite and we headed over. The Lord knew I needed this to lift my spirits and get me going again. We had a blast!!! Chloe and Lynn bonded pretty instantly and played with the pool toys most of the time. Brody ate most of the time he was there. He had his first taste of baked beans and chocolate chip cookies while we were there and he LOVED them...especially the beans. I swear I am still seeing intact beans in his diaper and it's been FOUR days since he ate them! LOVELY... Anyways, it was great for me and David too to just get away from it all and spend time with another couple who has "been there, done that." It was relaxing, fun, and just what the doctor ordered.

Pics are coming. Lynn is strongly encouraging me to take pics of my lovely baldness to document and be able to share with my kids in years to come what mommy went through. She took several pics so I am going to post them when I get them. Be on the lookout.

No comments:

Post a Comment