Friday, June 5, 2009

Expect the Unexpected

Went yesterday for my chemo treatment and came home without it. After having my labs drawn, we discovered that I am neutropenic. This means that my white blood cell counts are low (1.5 to be exact) and my neutrophil count is 0.09. My doctor is very aggressive with treatments so for her to hold off on it, I knew it must be serious. I was a little disappointed, but I know it's for the best. She told me that if I had the chemo that I would end up in the hospital and that I may end up there anyways if I get a fever. There is really nothing I can do to raise my count except to pray that it comes up. And what I can do to keep it from totally plummeting is strict handwashing, avoiding crowds, no fresh veggies or fruits, and pretty much just laying low and letting my body rest.

Unfortunately, it's 4 AM right now and I awoke to a severe headache so I got up and took Advil. Then I realized that I should have taken my temp to be sure it was normal before I took the pain reliever. Took my temp and it's 100.6. My oncology nurse told me yesterday to come to the ER with any fever over 100.4. GREAT! So now I am sitting here blogging instead and just trying to decide if I should just wait a few hours to see how I am, or if I should go wake up David and get some bags packed. I mean I know I should go on in probably because without the Advil in my system my temp would probably be higher than that. Luckily, my parents are here visiting so I have them to watch my kids. I tell you, God is in every detail right down to childcare. If my parents were not here, I would be freaking out probably about what I would do with the kids in case I am admitted.

God knew this was going to happen though. He's not surprised. Yesterday, I called my mom while waiting for my chemo and told her about the labs and then asked her to pray that I would get my treatment. She told me that she would not pray that but that she would pray God's will to be done. So that's how I changed my prayers too. I did not get the answer I was looking for at that particular time, but I am so glad now that I didn't get the chemo or I would be really really sick right now.

Well, I'm off to page my doctor on call I think and see what they recommend and will go from there. Updates later.

1 comment: