Thursday, April 9, 2009

Waiting

Yesterday, during my devotions, I came upon a verse in Psalm (5:3) where David is crying out to God and he says, "Listen to my voice in the morning Lord. Each morning I bring my requests to you and wait expectantly." That really struck me. The word expectantly/expect is so powerful to me.
I decided to look up the word in the dictionary to get the full meaning of it and make sure I really understood meaning of the word. This is what I found:
Expect : to look forward to; regard as likely to happen; anticipate the occurrence or the coming of

How many times have I, like David, cried out to God asking Him for healing - complete healing - but instead of just expecting God to heal me I think "well, hopefully He will heal me, hopefully he will answer my prayer, hopefully I will see my babies grow up..." How much different would my outlook/attitude be if every time I went to God in prayer and petition I whole-heartedly expected Him to hear and answer. In James 1:6-8, he says "But when you ask him, be sure that your faith is in God alone. Do not waver, for a person with divided loyalty is as unsettled as a wave of the sea that is blown and tossed by the wind. Such people should not expect to receive anything from the Lord." The notes in my Bible below that verse say "We must believe not only in the existence of God but also in His loving care. This includes relying on God and expecting that he will hear and answer when we pray. We must have confidence that God will align our desires with His purposes."

Last summer when I was pregnant with Brody I called David and asked him to bring home some ice cream for me. This is rare for me as I really hate ice cream...generally it makes me sick to look at it. However, this time I really wanted it and could not wait for him to get home. So when he got home and handed me the ice cream, Chloe plopped herself right at my feet, opened her mouth and expected me to give her a bite. There was no doubt in her mind that if she just came to me and opened her mouth that I would give her some ice cream. It has occured to me that maybe that is the way Jesus wants us to be. Maybe He wants us to go sit at His feet, ask things in His name, and then expect Him to answer.

I just love it when Jesus speaks to me through my kiddos. Next time I got to Him in prayer and petition I won't just ask and then think "hopefully He will heal me", or "what if He doesn't," I will instead sit at His feet and wait expectantly.

No comments:

Post a Comment