Monday, April 6, 2009

A Day of Praise

Today, from the moment I woke up, has been a day of praise. I just woke up with a pure joy today and for no particular reason. Odd...
Anyways, as I was showering (that's the only place I get a quiet second to myself), I started thinking about how God has just perfectly orchestrated EVERYTHING in my life, but most recently, the turn of events with this breast cancer diagnosis.

I just need to write this down so that I can physically see it and look back on it as a reminder that God is the perfect composer of my life story.

January 12th - The Holy Spirit weighed heavy on my heart that morning to do my first ever self breast exam. The lump was found and my OB/GYN was able to get me in only a few short hours later for a check.
January 14th - I was meeting with the surgeon who we were very impressed with skill-wise, just not personality-wise. He ordered the mammogram.
January 20th - Mammogram done. Met with radiologist before leaving the appt. and she was able to set up the biopsy for the very next day. I met another very special lady that day who sort of headed up the mammography department.
January 21st - biopsy done
January 23rd - cancer diagnosis made
January 29th - first surgery done
February 6th - met with surgeon for the results of surgery. He was really nasty to us and didn't tell us the full story of my results. Was talking to my friend in the mammogram dept who suggested a surgeon in Nashville for a second opinion. Called that office immediately and while their normal appt wait time is weeks, they got me in within 3 days
February 9th - met new surgeon and just immediately knew I was in the right place
February 23rd - mastectomy - more cancer found that was not originally found. Had this second surgery not happened, I would have never known that more cancer was there as it hadn't even shown up on the mammogram
March 12 - met oncologist and knew from the first 5 minutes that I was in the right place!

Sometimes I find myself still getting really irritated with my first surgeon for the way he treated me and David, but truly, had I not met him, I would not have met my friend at the mammogram department and then none of the rest of events would have ever happened. So, I praise God that I met him and I am thankful that God led me to him. It just really proves that EVERYTHING works out according to God's purposes.

So today has just been a great day. I am at peace and I feel His presence all around. I love days when I can just sit, reflect, and praise my Jesus. Isn't He amazing?!?

Here are the lyrics to my very favorite song by Casting Crowns. It's called Praise You in This Storm which is exactly what I promised God that I would do back on January 12th. I pray that I will always praise Him no matter what.


I was sure by now
That You would have reached down
And wiped our tears away
Stepped in and saved the day
But once again, I say "Amen", and it's still raining

As the thunder rolls
I barely hear Your whisper through the rain
"I'm with you"
And as You mercy falls
I raise my hands and praise the God who gives
And takes away

I'll praise You in this storm
And I will lift my hands
For You are who You are
No matter where I am
Every tear I've cried
You hold in Your hand
You never left my side
And though my heart is torn
I will praise You in this storm

I remember when
I stumbled in the wind
You heard my cry
You raised me up again
My strength is almost gone
How can I carry on
If I can't find You

As the thunder rolls
I barely hear You whisper through the rain
"I'm with you"
And as Your mercy falls
I raise my hands and praise the God who gives
And takes away

I'll praise You in this storm
And I will lift my hands
For You are who You are
No matter where I am
Every tear I've cried
You hold in Your hand
You never left my side
And though my heart is torn
I will praise You in this storm


Are those not the best lyrics ever?!?

1 comment:

  1. That is my favorite song to reflect on when going through tough times. It really helped Robert and I out during our miscarriage a few years ago. I still get teary eyed when I hear it. Praying for you.

    ReplyDelete