Thursday, March 26, 2009

The Plan

Yesterday was a great day. I had my appointment with Dr. Mayer to discuss the first 2 chemo drugs that I will be getting. We are taking it in small steps as to not overwhelm me with too much information at once. After I am done with the first 2 chemo drugs, we will talk about the 3rd and 4th one I will be taking.
So, the first 2 are Adriamycin and Cytoxan (A/C). These are given back to back and the total infusion time is about 3-4 hours. I will have 4 rounds of this combo with a 2 week break in between each round. I start tomorrrow and will be done with the first combo on May 7. The day after each infusion I will go back for a shot that will hopefully increase my blood count - or I may be able to give the shot to myself at home if our co-pay isn't too much. Apparently the shot is $3000 so we are waiting to see what our co-pay would be if we got the medicine ourselves. If it's too much, we can just drive back to Vandy and get it for free.
Anyways, the A/C combo is the real one. They cause hair loss and fatigue in all patients. However, the other side effects are hit and miss as everyone is different. Those include: mucositis (irritation/ulcerations of the mouth and throat), nausea, GI junk, low blood counts, dehydration and temporary or permanent menopause. Dr Mayer does think that I will come out of menopause though after all is said and done since I am so young. I am going into this with a seriously positive attitude that I will have hair loss and fatigue...no doubt, but the others that are hit and miss, well, they will miss me. I am not going to look for them or even think about them unless I experience them because I am a firm believer that 1/2 of the battle is optimism. Now the doc did say that fatigue is going to get worse with each treatment but that I can help that by listening to my body and resting when I need to. She understands that having a 2 year old and a 7 month old is going to be hard, but I know the Lord will provide the rest that I will need. I'm just going to have to get rid of the super-mom cape and take help when it's offered.

One thing I am concerned about that may seem really trivial is how Chloe is going to react to a bald mommy. I truly don't think it's going to bother ME as I have already decided to have fun with hats, scarves, and the adorable wig that I got (it's the haircut I have always wanted but was unable to have due to my fine hair). I do worry about her being scared though. I plan on letting her play with the hats and even put on the "dress-up hair" but other than that, I don't really know how to explain it to her. Maybe 2 years olds, unlike a lot of adults, don't need explanations about it other than to say "mommy got a new haircut." I'm just hoping that she won't want the same haircut! How funny would that be?!? Then we could be known as the Bald Blevins Family. Well, actually Brody has hair, it's just so blonde that you can't really see it that well.

Anyways, please pray me through tomorrow and the next week or so as my body decides how it's going to react to the drugs. I'm trusting God to take care of me and my family and know that he will do so.

3 comments:

  1. The "Bald Blevins Family" cracked me up! I think Chloe will be just fine with bald mommy. Little ones are so adaptable. She probably will want the same hairstyle just like you said! She loves you unconditionally and different hair isn't going to change that!

    I'll pray for you! And I'm asking my community group to as well.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I see God's strength and wisdom in you. I am praying for you. I pray that God will meet all your needs and that He will make this battle as easy as possible for you and your family.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Praying.........don't know what to say. Hope you have some good Jesus in your ipod for that 4 hour treatment! Love you gal, praying for you, wish you did't have to go through this!
    K

    ReplyDelete