Wednesday, March 11, 2009

Met My Oncologist

Today was a big day for me. I met with my Oncologist for the first time and I must say that I really liked her a lot. She is probably in her mid-late 30's and has 2 children...one is 3 years old and the other is 18 months old. So...right off we have something in common and I feel like she gets why I am so passionate about living a very long life.
Anyways, she told me lots of information so I'm making it into a list.

1. Being 31 years old and having breast cancer means that I very well may have the BRCA breast cancer gene. If so, I have a much higher chance of getting cancer in the other breast and in the ovaries. It's a no brainer...I'm going to be tested for it and will have another mastectomy and ovarian removal if it is positive.

2. Being 31 does not affect my prognosis at all! Thank you Jesus as I was worried about that.

3. We are still waiting on a few tests to come back as she wanted the Vanderbilt pathologists to look at the slides just to make sure they agree with the other hospital. When these come back she will give me the definitive plan. I'm sure that they will all be the same as this will be the 3rd set of pathologists to review them and so far the first two have found the same thing. The main test that we are waiting on is to see if my lymph nodes test positive for what's called Her2/Neu. If so, that means I have a very aggressive cancer but that there is a medicine that I can take in conjunction with chemo that will decrease my chances of recurrence/metastasis by 50%. All along I have been praying that it would be negative as I don't want the aggressive cancer, but now my prayers have changed and I want the drug that will better my chances of being and staying cancer free. Please pray for positive result. My doc, based on how this has all started and evolved, thinks it will be positive. We are also just verifying that the ER is still positive as that also will decrease my chances for recurrence by another 50%. Lord, please let these tests come back positive and help me to remain confident in Your healing powers.

4. If those tests do come back positive, then that combined with chemotherapy will give me a 90% chance of becoming and remaining cancer free.

5. Chemo will start on March 26th and will last for 5 months and then I will have 6 weeks of radiation which will be 5 days/week. I'm looking to be done with all treatment around the middle to end of October as long as I don't have to push any treatments back due to low blood counts.

6. The next few steps that will occur in the next 2 weeks is another small surgery to put in a mediport which is what they will use to give the chemo through. I will also have a very detailed ECHO of my heart since one of the drugs can cause the heart muscle to weaken (very small chance of this happening), and one more appointment with Dr. Mayer to go over the nitty-gritty of it all - the whole plan of care.

7. I am borderline Stage 2/ Stage 3. I have read that this means it is still considered early stage. Praise Jesus!

I think that is all of the news that we received today. If not, I'll keep adding so that I won't forget again. All in all it was a good appointment and I feel very good about the doctor that I have chosen to walk through this with me.

1 comment:

  1. praying...................
    love ya...................
    thankful..................
    coffee soon...............
    k

    ReplyDelete