Sunday, March 22, 2009

I Hear You Lord...I Really Do!

So this is just a continuation of the post a few days ago about frustration turning into trust. Since then, the Lord has chosen to reinforce the topic with me not once, but two more times!!! I am quite sure that He knows just how stubborn I can be sometimes. You know, that "but Lord, this is really different" syndrome.
So, the first reinforcement came in the form of an email from my mom. Before she had even read this journal about trusting God to work out the details of my chemo schedule, she sent me a passage to read from the book of Exodus. This is what it said (13:17-18)When Pharaoh finally let the people go, God did not lead them along the main road that runs through the Philistine territory, even though that was the shortest route to the Promised Land. God said, "If the people are faced with a battle, they might change their minds and return to Egypt. So God led them in a roundabout way through the wilderness toward the Red Sea.
Can you believe that?!? I am just so amazed that God sent that passage to me at that perfect time. And the even cooler thing is that my mom had wanted to share it with me when she was here a few weeks ago. However, she had not brought the Bible she had marked it in so she wasn't exactly sure which verse it was. I think what actually happened was that God knew I would need those words at this particular time so He saved them for now.
So, reinforcement number 2. I am reading a phenomenal book called "Crazy Love" by Francis Chan. He is the senior pastor at Cornerstone Church in Simi Valley, CA. The chapter that I was on that day was titled "You Might Not Finish This Chapter" and is about how at anytime we could die. Like, today, or any moment and yet we get so caught up in the things of this earth. Here are a few quotes from the chapter:
**On the average day we live so caught up in ourselves and don't consider God very much. We forget that our life is truly a vapor.
**When I am consumed by my problems I actually convey the belief that I think the circumstances are more important that God's command to always rejoice.
**So, what does this mean for you? You need to get over yourself.
**Maybe life is tough right now and everything feels like a struggle. God has allowed hard things in your life so that you can show the world that your God is great and that knowing Him brings peace and joy, even when life is hard.
**The point of your life is to point to Him.
**Nothing matters except our King...our God!

God has my attention now and when I feel my Type A kicking in too hard, I think about how true it is that my life on earth is SOOOO short compared to eternity and that helps put things into perspective for me. The focus is not on me, but on my God and He is able to work out all of the details of my life just fine without my calendar laid out before Him.

2 comments:

  1. you just keep continuing to amaze me!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I saw Francis Chan speak at Catalyst Conference two years ago and he blew me away. Those are some powerful quotes. I've got to get that book.

    You are blowing me away, too. You seem so strong spiritually, so full of faith. You are amazing!

    ReplyDelete