Friday, March 6, 2009

Getting Rid of My "Butt" (read on to see what I mean)

I am totally stealing this concept from my friend Kelly regarding the "butts" in our lives. (I hope this is okay with you friend!) She made a post recently about how she prays for big things to happen in her and her family's life...butt...does she REALLY want all of those things no matter how God chooses to make them come to fruition. Well, I have been praying about her "butt" and she has been praying about mine. Mine is a tad different, however it's essentially the same thing.

My butt is this "God, I know that you love my children more than I ever could because that's just who you are with your perfect love....butt, please don't take me off of this earth just yet. Please leave me here to raise them even though I know that you would watch over them just the same and even better than me." I have a feeling that the place God wants me to be is where I can honestly say to Him that I am okay with whatever way that he chooses to heal me...whether it's here on earth or in heaven, and that I have no doubts that He will continue to love my children the way He already does - perfectly. WOW!!! That's a huge butt to work on. Don't get me wrong, I really do still believe with all of my heart that God is going to heal me on earth, but I just feel like he wants me to relinquish all of the control of my life to Him. It's SOOOOO hard to do sometimes because I am a control-freak Type A+++ personality (just ask my husband).

So today during my quiet time I was studying in Philippians about Paul's imprisonment and the joy that he had through that time. The title of the study was Triumph during Trouble. Towards the end of the study it gave several other references in the Bible of stories like this. One that struck me the most was the story of Joseph and the troubles that he faced for no good reason and the triumph that he experienced through the trials. Although he was deserted by his family, punished for doing the right thing, imprisoned for a long time, and forgotton by those he had helped, he didn't spend much time asking WHY. Eventually he was reunited with his brothers who were scared to death of what Joseph would do to them and this is what he said about it " You intended to harm me, but God intended it all for good. He brought me to this position so I could save the lives of many people. No, don't be afraid. I will continue to take care of you and your children." The experiences in Joseph's life showed him how God can turn evil into good for those who trust Him.

So today, I started really really working on this big ol' "butt" of mine. I need to just wait patiently and trust that God is going to take care of me just like he took care of Joseph....that God is going to take care of my family, just like he took care of Joseph. I need to know that He is going to provide me with the ability to some day soon be able to relinquish this control of my life and let Him do with it as He pleases all the while knowing it's going to be better than I could have ever even imagined.

Now, I pass on the challenge of working out your "butts." It's really hard work so before you commit to the workout plan God has for you, you must be sure it's something you want to do. Until next time, I'll be spending time with my personal trainer (aka...God).

2 comments:

  1. I really feel you on the "butt" thing. I struggled with that while Jordan was gone. I would pray and tell God that Jordan is His and the situation is out of my hands, BUTT God I really need him to come home, maybe more than others.

    It was terribly hard to let go of that butt and to know that whatever happened was all a bigger plan.

    Thinking of you today Kelly.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Kim, so glad to know that everyone has a "butt" of their own. When you are in it though, doesn't it seem as though you are the only one with a butt?
    Pray for us tomorrow as we meet my oncologist and get lots of information. Love you guys!

    ReplyDelete