Thursday, March 19, 2009

Don't Forget My Love...

I met with a lady from my church today who just finished up her chemo and radiation treatments for breast cancer. What a hoot she was! Loved her!!! Anyways, during our conversation the topic of support people came up - you know, the person/people who will be with me day in and day out, taking me to treatments and walking this journey with me every step of the way. For me, of course that is David. Anyways, we were just chatting about how our support people have as hard of a time as we do with a diagnosis of cancer. Think about it...it's true. When I was diagnosed with cancer, a part of David was diagnosed too because we are one. When we took those vows, we became one and we share in each others sorrows equally. He's just as shaken by this as I am even though it's not "his" health problem per say. Anyways, I have noticed that most people, when talking to him, give the advice to "be strong" and "don't let her think or see that it's bothering you because you have to be there for her." David, and all support people, NEED to be able to vent and share their feelings just as I do. It's vitally important that their emotional needs are met too.

So, all this to say...please please please don't forget about David. Don't forget that he is going through this too, and don't forget to ask him how he is doing. I love him so much and I don't want him to feel as though it's all about me because truly, it's about US. We are in this together for the long haul and I want him to be as taken care of and prayed for as much as I am.

Love you all!!!

3 comments:

  1. I hope it was Lynne that you got to meet- I sent her to your blog. She is in our community group and now has an awesome tattoo of the pink ribbon with the word Survivor underneath. If it wasn't Lynne then you should hook up w/ Lynne- she too is a hoot! :) She makes our community group a lot of fun!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yep Emily, it was Lynne! She told me that she was in your community group. I bet there is never a dull moment, huh?

    ReplyDelete
  3. Wonderful post, Kelly! Praying for David - I bet when he is away from you and the kids for some reason, it is especially hard, if he is like me..

    ReplyDelete