Wednesday, January 28, 2009

Humbled

That is the way I feel right now. I am completely humbled by the amount of people who have sent David and I emails telling us that they are praying for us and are enlisting others to do the same. I cannot believe the outpouring of love and support that we have been shown.
I was speaking with my mom and dad the other day and they told me that at church last Sunday (the church that I grew up in) they had requested prayer for me and that after church, a girl that I grew up with and was very close to came up and was distraught at the news. That she was crying and just really upset. Now I have not really been in touch with Addie since we went to seperate colleges, but we had been friends before then since our pre-school days. When I heard this, I just felt overwhelmed. I just couldn't believe that someone that I had not been in touch with for so long would care so much about my well-being. Humbling...
Also, God has provided a new friend for me through this. I met the most amazing lady at the hospital who works in the women's center which is where the mammograms are done. I actually met her on the first day that I was there and since then, she and I have just really bonded. She called to check on me a day or two after the biopsy and through our conversation I was able to tell her about my faith and trust in God. Now the really cool thing about that is that my friend Erin Blair had emailed me a week or so ago telling me that while she was praying for me that God laid on her heart the verses in 2nd Timothy 1:8-9 but she didn't know why. So I had read and pondered them a million times also wondering how they were for me. As soon as my new friend called and told me how much she had just taken to me and my case and how concerned she was about me I knew exactly why Erin had those verses in mind for me. They say "Do not be ashamed to tell people about our Lord Jesus, and do not be ashamed of me (Paul), in prison for the Lord. But suffer with me for the Good News. God who gives us the strength to do that, saved us and made us His holy people." So there you go...I was able to just tell my new friend about Jesus and my faith, and if through my present suffering I can show even just one person how faithful God is, then it is so worth every bit of suffering. I am just so excited that God has chosen me to go through this for possibly the benefit of so many others.
Also, I just wanted to say a big thank you to everyone who is praying for me. Again, I am humbled to know that people here in my home-state of Tennessee, and then people in NC, Georgia, Hawaii, Kentucky, Iraq, and who knows elsewhere are lifting me up to God in their prayers. I am thankful to all of you!

6 comments:

  1. Kelly,
    First I wanted to say that I too am praising our Great God for your recovery. We received a phone tree on Thursday that stated everything went great and I am trusting that this true. Secondly, I have to tell you the story of why I am writing you this morning becuase I have felt God's spirit in this all morning. Today is Saturday and let me tell you I covet my Saturday mornings becuase I get a few extra hours of rest which is much needed from the rat race of the hectic week, you know what I am talking about. So I was going to sleep in, but God had other plans for me this morning. I woke up about 6:00 which is unusual becuase I can sleep through a storm, but you were the first thing that came to my mind. I started praying for your recovery, strength and of course your precious family. I began asking God what I would do if he had decided to allow me to go through the same season, and I began to understand why I feel so close to this season as well. We are in the same stage of our lives and have a lot in common and I began to tell God that there is no way I could be as strong as Kelly and find peace. You are a hard act to follow!! By watching and reading you are invisible Kelly and that is why God has trusted you with this event. So, after praying, I had longed to write you a letter this week but couldn't find enough time between it all to really say what I wanted to say, so I thought I would check my emails one more time to see if maybe you received an ecard that I sent to you using kellyblevins@yahoo.com and confirm that I had the correct email address and then I would begin on this letter that God was speaking so loudly at me to write. As I was checking at 6:30 (with coffee of course) I had received an email from your mom telling me she thought that I might be interested in your blog. I couldn't beleive it, God had allowed a direct contact with you that I had been wondering about all week. Then I began reading all your post and was blown away!!!What a child of God you have become or always been and never took the time that I should have to really see this from you. I apologize for that. Lying in bed I began playing over and over the things that I wanted to say to you and realized that I better get it on!! Kelly, I am sorry for this season, but then God isn't becuase he knew from beginning to end why he has you here. Last Sunday I will be honest when I watched your daddy trying to get it out to the Sunday School class what was going on I could feel his sorrow and see his strength that his little baby girl was going through this grown-up event. My mind began to wonder and Ireally couldn't tell you what that lesson was about!I was mad at first with God and questioning everything for you and then for anyone else going through this. Then my mind took me back to a time when we were just innocent and God was in the midst of us then. I remembered a time when I spent the night with you and went to church the next morning (we were preteens I think) and we went to Sunday School in a room on the 3rd floor which ironically is exactly where I was sitting on Sunday when I heard the news. I felt like I was in a movie and flashback were coming left and right. I began to see that even then God put you and your family and other wonderful people in my life when I needed guidance and direction toward seeking him and his plan in my life. Now that we are grown I am thankful that I understand God's grace that is so clearly laid out in Romans and his love that is resolved on the Cross!! He didn't die for your pain right now to be painful but for it to be graceful and have merit. I thought that there is no way Kelly is going through this without a fight if you were the same fighter I remembered. I knew that it would come out from the core of who you are because you were fearfully and wonderfully made to be that person for this very reason in your life. You always were fighting in school to strive for what you wanted and wouldn't let anything or anyone get in your waY!! True?! Anyway, I just wanted to let you know that I am right beside you in NC and have been continually praying for what ever God has for you every next minute. Kelly, I am the one humbled by your strength, faith, courage, perserverance, attitude, discipleship through your storm, motherhood, fight and especially your friendship. At the end of this God will lay on your heart a verse to call your own, mine right now is Isaiah 40:31. Keep it up girl for you, your family and all of us rooting for you on the sidelines. I love you girl as sisters in Christ!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Addie, thank you for this letter. I am so sorry about the ecard. I did not get it or I definitly would have written you back. I too have wanted to talk to you since my dad told me about your concern for me to let you know that I am thankful for you and that I truly am doing wonderful. I was really sad that you were so sad and I just wanted you to hear it from me that I am okay.
    There of course are difficult hours and sometimes whole days, but just knowing that God is going to be glorified by this is truly my blessing and that is what keeps me going. Please know that your prayers have been felt and are much appreciated. I do know that things would not be as calm or comforting for me if I didn't have my friends and family going to God on my behalf. Love you!

    oh, and you were very close on my email address. it's kellySblevins@yahoo.com. It looks like the middle initial was just left out. Hope to stay in touch with you!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thank you Kelly, I had not expected a reply so soon, but am very thankful to hear from you. I know about those small moments of joy when your small ones know in there heart that something is wrong, but God gives them the exact words to say or do that hits the spot. I am so proud of you and I don't know what it might feel like with this feeling that something is wrong, but all I know is I have learned that those that really love you will always love you for the person you are inside your heart and the outside just seems to fade in! Don't get discouraged and know that we know you are still the same Kelly. I don't want to be annoying but I do want to be an encouragement during those small times when you think that you are just about out of the pit and something or someone(satan) finds a way to kick you back down. Don't let him do it. Were rooting for ya! Have a restful recovery week!

    ReplyDelete